Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 28, 2007

oh to read again...

I miss reading. It used to be I could spend hours curled up on the loveseat with a novel in hand, lost in the adventures and romance of a fictional story. Or sometimes I would challenge my thinking by wrestling with some of John Piper's works or re-thinking my role as a wife in a godly marriage. I love to read poetry, fiction, history and classics, and especially enjoyed to discuss the books I read with friends.

In my younger days, I can recall my mom asking me to help set the table at dinner time, only to find me slowly circling the table, book in hand, as I tried to place the silverware in the correct spot without breaking my flow of reading. Or I would attempt to read in the car once it got dark (before I got terribly car sick), holding my book up to catch the light of the headlights behind us until it proved impossible to make out the words. In college I would retreat into the library and curl up on the "sleeping chair" to "read" my homework...though it almost inevitably ended up in a nap.

I love to read. Why is it I never have time to sit down with a book? My hubby is just as busy as I am, and yet he can read through 3-5 books in a month or less!! On top of his daily Bible reading! I am in awe. Maybe I'll pick up some pointers from him. But in the meantime, I'll look forward to Christmas vacation, when I will hopefully find some time to read again...

4 comments:

this is who i am said...

smooth read in the car after dark.

Kathy said...

I really like to read too, but there is so little time... I never tried to read in the car by the headlights after dark, interesting.

Doug and I like to read out loud to each other in the car when we travel, but we have not gone anywhere in a long time :(

I can see you slowly circling the table, book in hand, as you tried to place the silverware in the correct spot without breaking your flow of reading. ha! classic

Tony and Lisa said...

I love that memory of you reading while setting the table. I was always so happy that you loved books so much!
I love you,
Mom

Hilary said...

Liz, I know the feeling! I actually get jealous of the Emmaus students who have to read all the time. Hope you have a great weekend!