Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 19, 2010

Fervent Friday

Starting today, each Friday I will be sharing the lyrics from a favorite song or hymn of mine. I've decided to name it "Fervent Friday". (I thought everyone's suggestions on facebook and here were great! I just ended up choosing something completely different. :) Hope you all understand!!)

fervent - adjective
  1. having or showing great warmth or intensity of spirit, feeling, enthusiasm, etc.; ardent: a fervent admirer; a fervent plea 
  2. hot, burning, glowing
I know that by the end of the week I am often worn out and looking forward to the weekend - to rest and relaxation! I often don't want to clean my house, read my Bible or start gathering the info for our taxes (yikes!) on that day just because I want to be lazy. However, our love for the Savior and desire to please Him should never fade or die, but should be intense, fiery, fervent. (Hence the title. :) )

Music often inspires me in a way that not much else can, and sometimes simple lyrics put to a beautiful tune can set my heart aright on a terrible day. So, to kick-off Friday, here's a hymn that I grew to love while in college. I remember singing it during our morning chapel time and it soon became a favorite during our periodic evening hymn-sings. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

Hast Thou not bid us love Thee, God and King?
All, all thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind;
I see Thy cross there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find.


Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear,
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.


Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The baptism of the heav'n-descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.

Written by George Croly









No comments: