Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day

For the past 4-ish years, Mother's Day has been something that pangs my heart. It only reminded me of what I didn't have, and the loss of my miscarriage 2 years ago.

This year will be different - praise God!

I am looking forward to celebrating Sunday by holding my precious daughter in my arms, kissing her cheeks and enjoying the smell of her skin. I've already told Joe I don't need any gifts -- just holding my Liddy is enough!

And though this Mother's Day will be a time of joyous celebration for us...I can't help but think of Heather.

Last week I created a special mother's day card for her on Shutterfly, using recent pictures of Lydia and writing a little note that was "from Lydia". We included a short greeting as well, thanking her for the gift she's given us and admiring her for her strength, once again.

I had always planned to honor my child's biological mom on Mother's Day, I just never knew how weird it would feel. It definitely wasn't a negative feeling, just kind of surreal. I struggled over what to have Lydia "say" in it, and even what to write myself. I know Heather chose adoption gladly, and was looking to the best interest of Lydia's future...but I still wonder what she will be feeling over the weekend.

If you think of it, would you mind offering up a prayer for her? Just that Sunday would be a special day, and that it wouldn't be filled with sadness, but rather assurance that she's done the right thing, and that her daughter is in good hands.

Have a blessed Mother's Day weekend, friends! :)

2 comments:

Claire said...

I love your sweet heart, Liz, to be thinking of Heather on this day. Just love it.

Tony and Lisa said...

I so appreciate your perspective, my dear daughter. Lydia's birthday will be another day filled with mixed emotions. Adoption is such a wonderful way to make families! it's important that we, as adoptive mothers, remember and honor the birthmother who, through her extreme sacrifice, made our motherhood possible. I will continue to pray for Heather and will thank God for her gift to our family!!
I love you & Happy Mother's Day!!
Mom